Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Hi All

I would like to wish everyone a really Happy New Year. I feel incredibly privileged to be in the position I am in, its an honour.

As I am sure you are aware, we are coming to the end of our centenary celebrations for Women in British Police and there have been some wonderful presentations and events around the country where the undeniable efforts of women officers past and present have been celebrated.

It is now 'onward and upward' and we need to grasp the momentum and continue to drive towards the future, both for the UK and abroad where women's status within policing is less secure and harder fought.

In the UK, and personally speaking, I have found (in my almost 27yrs ) that the time that I was most successful was when I was most determined. I believed in my own abilities and as I looked around at those in the positions and ranks I wanted to fulfil, I knew that I could at least be as good or in most cases better than them. This isn't arrogance, but confidence. I can honestly say that I have never achieved anything on the back of anyone else's work and know that I have stayed true to my values.

Its important, as women police officers ascend up the ranks that they continue to look behind them and pave the way for the next generation of women officers who are also determined and committed to make that leap.

As a coach and a mentor, I take this position and responsibility very seriously. I provide time, space and opportunities to those who I feel have the resilience and skill to attempt to reach these goals. This is not a completely selfless act, anyone who is able to mentor or coach will know. Seeing the light going on and the officers realisation that their self perceived potential was far lower than they are actually capable of, is incredible.

If you don't do it already, try it. Mould the next generation, be an active part of the future of policing.

have a great year

with kindest wishes

Annita Clarke